Modern Permitting and Licensing: 3 Best Practices for Digital Optimization
Follow these steps to ensure the move from in-person and in-line to online results in a better experience for internal and external stakeholders.
It's not enought to simply move permitting and licensing online. This workflow modernization is also the perfect opportunity to truly optimize the experience for both internal stakeholders and external customers. Follow these best practices to ensure the best experience for all.
1. Opt for Ease of Use
This means easy, modern, and intuitive for both those approving applications and designing workflows, and those submitting applications. For staff, ensure the new workflow allows them to:
- Review applications and attachments from anywhere.
- Collaborate across departments.
- Approve applications in half the time.
- Make edits to applications and workflow without coding or technical expertise. No help desk ticket required.
For customers, the optimal systems ensures they can:
- Submit application, pay fees, and message reviewers in the same system.
- Experience a one-stop shop for all forms, attachments, and payments.
- Apply for permits and licenses from anywhere.
- Submit applications faster.
2. Adopt an Agile Solution
You need a flexible solution that adopts to the challenges your team regularly faces, including:
- Application or workflow changes
- Customer expectations
- New regulatory requirements
- Cross-department collaboration
3. Utilize Unlimited Users and Multiple Service Areas
New hires and retirees. Vacations. Contractors, outside agencies, and third parties. Summer interns. The list of potential staff changes is endless.
Not to mention when new service areas need to be added, such outdoor dining permits, short-term rental regulation, solar permits, or even right-of-way permits for public works.
Your team needs a solution provider that allows for unlimited seat licenses and the ability to add new record types easily.
We've only scratched the surface when it comes to optimizing a modern workflow. Dive even deeper into best practices for modern permitting and licensinging by downloading our full guide here.